Something About Mary ~ Indulgenced Marian Prayers to Teach Your Children

In sharing my tradition of Something About Mary posts for Mary's month of May, someone shared with me the idea of memorizing Marian prayers with our children this month.

Great idea! Befitting a First Saturday in the month of May!

A devotion to Our Lady is an essential element of the faith I, too, want to pass on to my children. (A reflection from the Holy Father) And so, I go to a favorite and oft mentioned book, The Handbook of Indulgences. Why not memorize a prayer that is efficacious and provides graces!

For the very young, there is Maria, Mater gratiae, A Child's Prayer to Mary -

Mary, mother whom we bless,
full of grace and tenderness,
defend me from the devil's power
and greet me in my dying hour.

And, The Memorare

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence,
I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in your mercy hear and answer me.
Amen

The Salve Regina

Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!

V- Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God
R- That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.





There are others, too, in this precious book...a must have for every Catholic family, in my opinion. Of course, the greatest prayer we can teach our children and pray with them is The Most Holy Rosary, of which the saints testify to its graces.

A great aid for this is from Jody's Hands On Learning and her Rosary memory cards. See HERE.  I hope you will check out all the links in this post where so much more about Our Lady is included. She is so needed and the reasons to know and love her are the best use of our time!

More on indulgenced prayers to learn -
http://totustuusfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-begin-day.html
http://totustuusfamily.blogspot.com/2008/12/handbook-of-indulgences.html

1 comment:

Patty said...

Lovely post, Allison. Did I tell you how excited I get to see these Marian posts?

© 2011 Bushel & A Peck Designs. Powered by Blogger.