Catholic rebuttals to Abortion

Answering Pro-Abortion Politicians by Fr. Frank Pavone, Priests for Life

If you've ever written to a pro-abortion politician about the right to life, you've probably received a form letter that utilizes one of several worn-out arguments. Let's review how we answer them.


1. "I respect your views, but I have to represent all the people."

  Our response: That's what we're trying to say to you. If you neglect the unborn, you are not representing all the people. Roe vs. Wade excludes them from protection; we demand that they be included. A public servant cannot legitimately ignore an entire segment of the public that is being destroyed.


2. "I'm personally opposed to abortion, but can't impose my views on others."

Our response: This is not a matter of views, but of violence. The law is supposed to protect human life despite the views of those who would destroy it. (What if Joe Biden had inserted a similar adjective instead of "unborn" human? To highlight the hypocrisy, what if he had said I don't personally believe in aborting/killing Hungarian humans, but I can't force my views on Jews or Muslims if they choose to kill Hungarian humans.  Wrong is still wrong.) 


3. "The government should not be involved in such a personal decision as abortion."

Our response: The government got "too involved" in abortion when it claimed to have the authority to deprive some human beings of their right to life. The Declaration of Independence asserts that government exists to secure the rights already bestowed by the Creator. Moreover, when somebody's "choice" destroys somebody else's life, that choice is no longer merely a personal, private matter.


4. "Legislators should not be practicing medicine."

Our response: We're not asking you to practice medicine, but to prevent the abuse of medicine. The practice of medicine is regulated by all kinds of laws that protect the lives of patients. All we ask is that the unborn be included in that protection.


5. "Abortion is the law of the land."

Our response: The "law of the land" can be changed, just as it was changed regarding slavery and segregation. Leadership means seeing the injustices that others miss, and inspiring people to utilize the methods the law permits to make necessary changes.


6. "I support women's rights and health."

Our response: That is precisely why you should examine the evidence, which is more plentiful than ever, that abortion is destructive of women's health, and listen to the growing voices of those who have been harmed by abortion. That is also why you should examine how the abortion industry, through unregulated and dangerous clinics, continues to deceive and exploit women. (Half those that are aborted are women...unborn women in the womb, what about their rights?)


7. "Abortion is just one of many issues; I embrace a consistent ethic of life."

Our response: The foundation of a house is only one of many parts of the house, but it is essential in order to build the other parts. That is why the Catholic bishops have repeatedly asserted that among the many interrelated issues within a consistent ethic, abortion deserves "urgent attention and priority " (Pastoral Plan, 2001). (Without LIFE no other issues matter.)


8. "My office does not involve any decision-making about abortion."

Our response: Your position on abortion says a lot about your character and worldview. If you cannot stand up for the smallest of children, how will you stand up for the rest of us?


9. "Let's just agree to disagree."

Our response: We have the greatest respect for those who disagree with us. But when victims are oppressed, we don't sit back and "agree to disagree" with the oppressor. Rather, we intervene to save the victim. Abortion is not about beliefs; it's about bloodshed. Those who need protection need it despite the disagreement of others.


10. Finally, always use the best response to all the arguments: I vote! 


OTHER GREAT LINKS ON THIS TOPIC...

Our Bishops Speak on Political Responsibility, Abortion, and the Elections

A Brief Catechism for Catholic Voters

It’s a matter of honesty: to receive Communion, we need to be in communion - Archbishop Charles Chaput, OFM Cap., May 24, 2004.

Response to Arizona Republic Article: "Bishops won’t link politics, Communion" - Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted, May 21, 2004

Politicians and Communion - Bishop Thomas Wenski, May 3, 2004

How to tell a duck from a fox - Thinking with the Church as we look toward November (Archbishop Charles Chaput, April 14, 2004)

Bishop Smith blasts hypocrisy of ‘pro-choice’ Catholic politicians (March 31, 2004)


SOME OTHER POSTS ON THE TOPIC...
http://totustuusfamily.blogspot.com/2008/05/being-faithful-to-magisterium.html
http://totustuusfamily.blogspot.com/2008/11/catechism-has-failed-many-catholic.html
http://totustuusfamily.blogspot.com/2008/11/too-real-to-talk-about-on-thanksgiving.html

14 comments:

Christine said...

You are fighting a tough fight. I listen to the Catholic Radio quite a bit and Father Frank Pravone is on a lot. Bless his heart. He is fighting so hard. Seems like it is a losing battle. Sometimes I lose hope. Thanks for the info.

Therese said...

these are great. I will put a post up on my blog about this too.

Fr. Frank is so passionate about his work. It is inspiring.

Lisa Boyle said...

Wow! These arguments are wonderful. I am going to save them for future reference myself, so I am "armed" when someone comes at me with one of those ridiculous comments. God bless you for trying to get the word out! I hope everyone reads it and remembers it as they go to the polls in November!

Jessica Gordon said...

Thank you so much for posting about this!

Also, thank you SO VERY MUCH for the wonderful little prayer book! That was so very kind of you! May God Reward you!

God Bless!

Kathy said...

I, too, found this informative. I am posting a link to this from my blog. Thanks for posting!

laurazim said...

What a great post! I've also had the question, "What about in the case of rape? Don't you think a woman is entitiled to an abortion if she didn't choose an assault?" Our response is, "If a man commits a sin, which of his children should we execute? Should we kill the mother of his grandchildren? The teenager? The gradeschooler? The toddler? Why should we kill an unborn baby to make reparation for the sins of its biological father?" It makes them think--politicians and the general population as well....

Anonymous said...

Much needed post, especially with the upcoming election.

Allison said...

Hi ladies - glad you are finding this as useful as we have. I've been putting copies of info like this, apologetics and other teachings in a binder to share with the kids.

Back at the last elections, my husband and I mailed this along with the Catholic Voter's Guide of the 5 Non-Negotiables to our family and Catholic friends...never heard from a one of them. God willing, it planted a seed.

Sometimes we have to break out into the uncomfortable to live out our faith. Like my husband always ponders, HOW RADICAL IS RADICAL ENOUGH FOR CHRIST? How far would you go for Him?

Sue B. said...

I am so glad that you posted this. Christine, Fr. Frank wrote a piece on why pro-lifers are winning this fight. It's at http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3798/is_200707/ai_n21100625.

Soul Pockets said...

"If you cannot stand up for the smallest of children, how will you stand up for the rest of us?"

This statement is so true. This will be a good one for my friends and family members who just don't get the reason why the issue of abortion takes priority for me when I vote.

Great post.

xxxxxx said...

This is wonderful! Though nobody wants to get into a debate with me anymore about abortion. :)

These reasons really get people to think and I suspect at times they do not want to think.

In my state, abortion rates have gone down quite a bit. Of course, PP takes the credit. Go figure!

Anonymous said...

I live in New York - one of the first and one of the worst states that is rabidly for abortion! It's a tough struggle - but The Blessed Virgin Mother will come to our aid! May God send us more Catholic workers into the fields, here! we live in "Obama Territory" - even my own brother voted for him and does not want to hear about the stealth in the, "Health Care Bill"! Please keep us in your prayers - God Bless you all and thank you for this post. You are a good warrior for LIFE!

Thomas DeAngelo said...

I guess I don't have many friends because so many people in my social circles are pro-choice. How can you ever begin to be forgiven of your sinfulnes if you yourself won't recognize it.

Anonymous said...

My sister told me yesterday that she was starting a Daisy Girl Scout troop for my niece. I told her that even though I used to be a leader myself, I could no longer support Girl Scouts because of their association with Planned Parenthood. I had to turn away a Daisy scout last week who came to the door selling cookies. Needless to say, my sister has shut down the entire topic with me. It leads me to the question, is she even pro-life? We are both cradle Catholics. I was very hurt by her response and felt so alone in my beliefs today and then I read the comments here. Thank for reminding me there are others out there who are going thru the same things. God bless you.

© 2011 Bushel & A Peck Designs. Powered by Blogger.