Homeschooling Style Quiz & Curriculum Predictor

Take the test and let me know, in comments, if it predicts your style.


Homeschooling Style Quiz: (by Dr. Chen - see below)
Use the following scale in answering the questions. Be sure to circle the number that corresponds with your answer.
1 2 3 4 5 6
That’s not me at all Rarely true, only 20% of the time Occasionally true, about 40% of time Often true, about 60% of time Usually true, about 80% of time Almost always true

Group 1A questions
I look forward to homeschooling 1 2 3 4 5 6
My husband wants me to homeschool 1 2 3 4 5 6
I love to study and learn new things 1 2 3 4 5 6
I enjoy reading aloud to my children every day 1 2 3 4 5 6
I find myself naturally explaining things to the children 1 2 3 4 5 6
I’m in the middle of reading a book (romance novels excluded) right now. 1 2 3 4 5 6
Average (total divided by 6) for 1A=______________

Group 1B questions
There is a show or movie on TV that I want to watch almost every night 1 2 3 4 5 6
I spend an hour or more each day visiting friends or chatting on the phone 1 2 3 4 5 6
My husband wants me to homeschool, but I dread it. 1 2 3 4 5 6
I can’t find time to read. 1 2 3 4 5 6
It’s very hard to find time to play with or read to the children. 1 2 3 4 5 6
I often feel guilty about not getting enough accomplished. . 1 2 3 4 5 6
Average (total divided by 6) for 1B=______________

Group 2A questions
The inside of my kitchen cupboards are clean and organized . 1 2 3 4 5 6
We all make our beds, put away our clothes and do our chores without a lot of problem . 1 2 3 4 5 6
I rarely misplace things. 1 2 3 4 5 6
I enjoy paying the bills, planning the details of a trip or organizing an activity . 1 2 3 4 5 6
The books in our personal library are categorized so that I can easily find them 1 2 3 4 5 6
The inside of our refrigerator is clean. . 1 2 3 4 5 6
Average (total divided by 6) for 2A=______________

Group 2B questions
Usually there is laundry to be done and piles around that need to be folded . 1 2 3 4 5 6
I have a hard time getting my children to do chores . 1 2 3 4 5 6
I want to teach my children but there are so many choices that I don’t know where to begin . 1 2 3 4 5 6
When my children ask me where something is it takes a long time for us to find it . 1 2 3 4 5 6
I don’t know what we will be having for dinner until it’s time to cook the meal. 1 2 3 4 5 6
I procrastinate a lot. 1 2 3 4 5 6
Average (total divided by 6) for 2B=______________

Group 3A questions
I like to plan things down to the last detail 1 2 3 4 5 6
I like doing craft activities or taking trips to the zoo or library with the children 1 2 3 4 5 6
I think a great way to learn is curled up on the couch with a book 1 2 3 4 5 6
I would let my children do their schoolwork on the floor if they wanted to 1 2 3 4 5 6
Kids can learn more about nature by walking around outside than they can from a book 1 2 3 4 5 6
I hated my textbooks and workbooks when I was in school 1 2 3 4 5 6
Average (total divided by 6) for 3A=______________

Group 3B questions
I like the idea of my children sitting at desks quietly working 1 2 3 4 5 6
It’s important for me to know what and how to teach my children each step of the way 1 2 3 4 5 6
I’m afraid my kids will have "gaps" in their education 1 2 3 4 5 6
I want my children to be at the same place in their subjects as the children in school 1 2 3 4 5 6
I like the idea of having just one book for each subject 1 2 3 4 5 6
I worry that I won’t be able to teach my children what they need to know. 1 2 3 4 5 6
Average (total divided by 6) for 3B=______________


Analyzing the Results:

The average from 1B, 2B and 3B must be reversed in order to analyze the results of this test.
6 becomes 1
5 becomes 2
4 becomes 3
3 becomes 4
2 becomes 5
1 becomes 6

After you have reversed the score for those 3 groups take a final total. Your total score should be between 6 and 36.
What your total score indicates:

6-12 total strongly suggests that you should use a homeschool program such as the Angelicum Academy or Seton HomeStudy. [I'd imagine that would apply to Our Lady of Victory, as well..maybe Kolbe, too. ]  
**Update** - Queen of Heaven Academy Online 

13-18 total suggests you should use a program, but that you could add or change a small part of the program without a problem. Mother of Divine Grace and Kolbe both allow substitutions to their curriculum.

19-24 total indicates you would be comfortable using some type of lesson plan system that you can modify to suit your needs. Good options might be the lesson plans from Catholic Heritage Curriculum or syllabi offered by Mother of Divine Grace or SaintThomas Aquinas Academy. [Could Kolbe fit in here, too, as it also allows modifications?]

(BINGO!  This is where my test puts me.  But, I *feel* that I meet the description of 13-18 as I do use a program - MODG- but enjoy its flexibility to add in Seton, OLVS ,CHC books and other resources suggested by my mentor, Paola of EmmanuelBooks.)

25-30 total suggests you could develop your own lesson plans, but would need support and guidance which could be found in DesigningYour Own Classical Curriculum or the suggested curricula at Catholic Heritage Curriculum.  It would also be helpful for you to examine lesson plans that others have written before creating your own. [ Consider, MaterAmabilis, I would think.]

30-36 total strongly suggests you would have no problem creating your children’s educational program.

**UPDATE** Homeschool Connections,  offering live and recorded classes for primarily middle and high school age students.... where do they fit in?  Their response was that those scoring 19-24 would appreciate their recorded classes and those scoring 25-30 would appreciate their live, online classes for homeschoolers. 

If your score "doesn't make sense" go back and recalculate making sure that you reversed the appropriate scores  as directed at the top of the page.

Quiz designed by Andrea Chen, Catholic Homeschool Mom of six, director of Mercy Academy Homeschool Program (http://www.mercyacademy.net), with a Phd. in Psychology.

It was put together based on her experience and knowledge of tests, measurement and homeschooling. This questionnaire has been tested on over 100 homeschooling mothers and found to be valid.

Do you agree?


29 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was fun...my head hurts now LOL!

So, I reverse the B's then add the A's for a total score? That would put me at 28.

Hmmm...I feel I am more structured than that but I guess it would fit since I am using the Latin-Centered Curriculum as a *guide* and pulling materials from there and from other resources. I think in High School, though, I may need some online help with Math and Science and probably Latin.

Thanks so much Allison for posting this.

Congratulations on your son's acceptance into college...you must be very excited (and a little sad too?). Keep us posted on things since this is all new to me : )

Anonymous said...

* I meant having a homeschooler is so new to me...have two in college now and another possibly on the way there in January...but they weren't homeschooled. I love the new adventure with Angeline!

Unknown said...

That was fun! I would say mine was fairly accurate, I scored a 20. I like having the structure of a lesson plan, but I like to do my own thing too :) I'm going to share with my readers! Thanks

Monique G. said...

Thanks for sharing this. It was fun to do. I got a 32. It's so accurate. I have made up my children's curriculum since we first started homeschooling.

Connie Rossini said...

Well, I got 24, but I design my own curriculum--mostly. I do use some texts, but I NEVER read teacher's guides and I don't like making lesson plans. Haha. I'm kind of mixed up. Personality tests never pin me down and The Temperament God Gave You indicates I am bi-polar. No, I'm just unique and I like it that way. Thanks for the fun.

Erin said...

This was very accurate for me... I scored a 28, and I use Mater Amabilis for guidance but like to make up my own stuff as well... I like flexibility. I also like Elizabeth Foss's alphabet path stuff... that would probably fall into the same category.

Very interesting - thanks for sharing! I am going to share it with my local Catholic homeschool moms!

Laura said...

just about right for me. we unschool for preschool, but I scored a 23 which is just about what I plan to do when we begin kindy this fall.

AJay said...

Oh wow, that was pretty accurate for me. I got 25, and I am using CHC as a spine and adding and subtracting to it all over the place.

Tabatha said...

Accurate for me! I scored a 21 and that is exactly what I do, I use CHC and substitute where I want to substitute. Thanks for sharing!

Tab

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Seemed pretty accurate to me. This will be our sixth year of homeschooling and I've always planned our own curriculum from a variety of sources because I could never find a program that I liked enough to go with it. I scored a 25 on the quiz.

Amber said...

Seems accurate to me - I scored a 31 and I am definitely comfortable developing a plan for my children's education.

I do think you need an automated quiz though - I can think of several people who would be intimidated by all the numbers and wouldn't bother. Funny, they are all Seton Home Study people. Perhaps that is another indicator for the first group.

Eva said...

Do you know there is an online version of the test. You can simply click on the answer to get an result. Here is the link. She also has a fabulous learning style test for students.

Denise said...

This was incredibly accurate! Thanks...passing this along to all my Catholic homeschooling-mom friends. Fun! :)

Draper said...

I suppose I need to be the contrary voice. I actually find this "Predictor" to be quite poor.

Just take a look at some of the hidden premises... Do you hate learning? Do you hate reading to your kids? Does your husband oppose homeschooling? Do you dread homeschooling? Do you avoid explaining things to your children? Do you never read? If you answer yes to any of these, you should use Seton! ... really? (These are the group 1A questions re-worded) What kind of hidden premises are these? (the other question groups are just as bad). With a few exceptions, the tenor seems to be that the less dysfunctional you are, the more likely you are to create your own curriculum, the more dysfunctional, the more you should use a structured curriculum.

Kim said...

I scored a 30 - I'm making my own plans but having CHC and Mater Amabilis as "guides". :)

Amanda said...

I liked this assessment, pretty accurate I think :) My score was 23, which totally makes sense. Catholic Heritage Curricula really appeals to me and we use some of their stuff, while mostly following the Well Trained Mind framework. I love having the big picture sorted out and being able to tweak and customize as much as I want within that. It gives me the freedom I want in homeschooling without taking precious time from just being a mom and wife and homemaker :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fun! I somehow went into decimals, lol, and scored a 28.7. I am most interested in Mater Amabilis. I could design my own curriculum, but I also appreciate that many have gone before me and have wonderful ideas and resources! -Anne

Suzie L. said...

I've taken this quiz online before and ended up in the same category...I'm 26. It accurately describes me. I start with MODG syllabi and then substitute where needed for specific kids. The years have added to my experience and 'skill'!

I've also had my kids take the online learning styles quiz...very perceptive and helpful.

Suzie L. said...

I've taken this online quiz in the past and was in the same category...I was 26 today. It's an accurate description of me. I start out with MODG and sub where needed. The years have added to my experience and 'skill'!

I've had each of my kids take the learning styles quiz, too. Quite useful and beneficial in understanding how one of my children learns/thinks.

Suzie L. said...

I've taken this online quiz in the past and was in the same category...I was 26 today. It's an accurate description of me. I start out with MODG and sub where needed. The years have added to my experience and 'skill'!

I've had each of my kids take the learning styles quiz, too. Quite useful and beneficial in understanding how one of my children learns/thinks.

Holly said...

This was also accurate for me. I am planning to use CHC as my base but also mix in a few other things.

Michele said...

Dear Allison,

I'm a homeschooling mom of 10. We started out in 1999 just after our 4th child was born, and I have been putting our curriculum together from the beginning. I always considered myself a maverick who didn't want to follow somebody else's idea of an education. I also didn't want to drop a bundle of money on lesson plans or a bunch of books that I wouldn't be discipliined enough to stick with.

However, #10 will be making an appearance at the beginning of the school year, and I have been feeling the need for more structure. I stumbled across Mater Amabilis while looking through Michele Quigley's planners, and when I found out it was FREE I started reading more...and couldn't stop. We're going to start using it this month.

The long and short of it is that the quiz (and results - 26) pinpointed me and my situation to a T. Thank you for posting. I have added you to my blogroll so I can read more about you and your lovely family.

{{25-30 total suggests you could develop your own lesson plans, but would need support and guidance ... It would also be helpful for you to examine lesson plans that others have written before creating your own. [ Consider, MaterAmabilis, I would think.}}

Anonymous said...

Very accurate. We are starting our 20th year of homeschooling and we have been mixing and matching since the 2nd year--just what my 26 score suggests.

cathmom5 said...

My score came out to about 9 and I DO use Kolbe Academy. Interesting formula.

Anonymous said...

Neat Quiz - great little self analysis :) I scored a 25 and I use MODG with a few twists here and there! Glad I am on target~ Thanks for Sharing Allison! :)
Cynthia

Veronique said...

Phew! I took the test the day after I registered for MODG (with some twists to accomodate our first language which is French) and got 24. I really enjoyed this post, thank you!

Eva said...

Hello Allison,

I noticed that you added "Queen of Heaven Academy". Have you had any experiences with then at all? I know they have gone through some changes, etc., but I have never met anybody who has actually worked with them.

Thanks!

Eva

Allison said...

Hi Eva and thanks for noticing!

More than one source asked that I add Queen of Heaven, but I do not have personal experience with them. Maybe someone will chime in?

Eva said...

Thanks for your reply. I know one mother who used it and thought it was academically excellent, but her daughter was not ready to use the internet responsibly during the online classes.

© 2011 Bushel & A Peck Designs. Powered by Blogger.