A Tribute to My Mother
She is amazing on so many levels. What you might notice, first, is how lovely she looks. Yes....she's turning 73 and has the skin of a woman much, much younger!
Then, going beyond her outward beauty, you can't help but notice an internal force of goodness as well.
My mother lived through the I-Am-Woman-Hear-Me-Roar era and accomplished many things, earned many notable titles, but was always present as a mother and dedicated to instilling family closeness.
That word is used often to describe her. She is a force of nature, unstoppable, able to do anything. Tireless. Selfless. Compassionate. Driven. Loyal. Generous to a fault. Stylish & Elegant.
Acknowledging all the above, some might be discouraged at being in the shadow of such a woman...and there's more:
- She's a great cook
- She makes every event like something out of a magazine
- She has style, panache and good taste
- She can fix anything and will get grease-monkey dirty trying
- She can SELL anything to anyone
- She takes in needy souls and nourishes them
- She nourishes flowers, too and her rooms are adorned with fresh arrangements
- She thinks the best about everyone
- She's at ease in high society and can swear with construction workers (tsk, tsk)
- She prays, a lot
- She cultivates family relationships and friendships
- She carries crosses
- She befriends everyone
- She is constantly learning and bettering herself
- She can do anything she sets her mind to
- She sleeps little and works, works, works
- She can make money, spend money, give away money like no one's business
- She says, "If one is good, two is better" and is a little fearless
- She's your fiercest cheerleader
- She's there for you the minute you need her
God made her special. But being in that shadow is the easiest place to be. As "far" as this apple is from that giving tree I pray to be in her shade, close enough to stare up admiringly, for as long as God permits.