Dissent "Not Compatible With Being A Good Catholic"

Dissent is the watered down, politically correct word for heresy today.

On Twitter I am seeing a few tweets from people who want to identify themselves as Catholics but they are saying that they are FOR contraception and the HHS mandate.

It's confused me.

Can they call themselves Catholic when they so dissent from Catholic teaching?

So I googled to see if there were any links on the topic and found these.

 "In 1987, Pope John Paul II told the American bishops in San Francisco that it was a "grave error" ... dissent from established doctrines is not"compatible with being a good Catholic" and does pose an "obstacle to the reception of the sacraments," (Source) 

 Follow this link to Catholic United for The Faith and their instructive article on The Grammar of Dissent: Identifying and Engaging Heresy " The Code of Canon Law, canon 751, defines heresy as "the obstinate denial or doubt, after baptism, of a truth which must be believed by divine and catholic faith." The Catechism of the Catholic Church identifies heresy as a sin against faith, and thus against the First Commandment (no. 2089).

It's an illuminating read, filled with suggestions, and in the end asking us to pray and sacrifice for these souls. "In all of this we must walk the path of charity. This is the virtue that allows us, as the Catechism, quoting Pope John Paul II, says, "to discern the often narrow path between the cowardice which gives in to evil, and the violence which under the illusion of fighting evil only makes it worse" (no. 1889).

1 comment:

Allison said...

On Google+ I had a comment to this post saying, "Thanks for posting this. Did you happen to read the comments on NFP / Contraception over at "Some times tea" by Red Cardigan? I posted the link earlier. Much the same thing.

One person actually commented "If people like you are going to be in heaven, I think I'd rather be in hell anyway. The people are more interesting."

Lot's of I think I'm justified because...X, y, z. Of course we live in a culture steeped in Protestant Individualism.

Sad really, must pray for these people.
6:14 PM

I wanted my reply to be a part of this post as well.

I said, "I will take a look at that,thanks, although I am sure it's an upsetting read. I join you in praying . I am aware that there are so many "conversions" to pray for and not the least, my own....that I may walk the talk and be charitable, yet committed to the Truth.

© 2011 Bushel & A Peck Designs. Powered by Blogger.