IHM Conference Notes - Gary Zimak, Be Not Afraid (To Homeschool)
"Do not fear, only believe," said Gary Zimak, quoting scripture. The author of A Worrier's Guide to The Bible spoke at the 2014 IHM National Homeschool and Parenting Conference about his anxiety, faith and Catholic homeschooling. Here's the description of the talk, followed by my notes. (Previous years)
Gary will share some of the techniques that he and his wife Eileen use to combat the anxiety of the homeschooling experience. They know first hand that a strong faith plays a big part in a peaceful homeschooling experience. Drawing from his best-selling book, A Worrier’s Guide to the Bible, you’ll find that it is possible not to worry…even if you’re homeschooling!
- People around you may reject the idea of Catholic homeschooling, like they rejected Jesus, but hold fast to ideas that you feel are callings from the Lord.
- Quoting Maureen Whitman - homeschool for heaven - no one will love your child the way only you do - If it's His will, He will help you - one day at a time
- Don't be afraid to be afraid. It's just an emotion. What you do next is PRAY.
- Fear is God inviting you to let Him in.
- Give it time, if things aren't working well intensify your prayers.
- Learn to trust.
- Moses was called by the Lord and told that God would assist him in his doubts. We do this not by ourselves, but can do all things in Christ.
- St. Paul boast in Corinthians that in his weakness he is made strong...by God.
- In Matthew 8, Jesus calms the storm. Do we sometimes feel like the Lord is sleeping through our storms? Why are we afraid...o ye of little faith.
- Ask for help - do what you can - make changes.
- Read the Bible for at least 5 minutes everyday.
- Receive the sacraments often, go to confession.
- Go to Blessed Mother.
Advice from St. Francis de Sales
- "Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually: 'The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart has trusted in Him and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me and I in Him.'"
Mr. Gary Zimak is a full time Catholic evangelist and the author of A Worrier’s Guide To The Bible, Listen To Your Blessed Mother and From Fear To Faith (coming in August). He is a frequent speaker at parishes and conferences across the country and is well known for his talks on overcoming anxiety.
Gary hosts a daily radio show on BlogTalkRadio and is a regular guest on Catholic Answers Live, EWTN’s The Son Rise Morning Show and Catholic Connection with Teresa Tomeo. He is a member of Catholics United for the Faith, the Knights of Columbus and The Catholic Radio Association and resides in New Jersey with his wife Eileen and twin daughters, Mary and Elizabeth. He is an instructor for RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) at Sacred Heart Parish in Riverton, NJ and the chaplain for the Catholic Business Network of South Jersey.
In addition, Gary and Eileen have been homeschooling parents for the past three years and LOVES IT!