Nature Models It to Us - Resurrection


Today has me thinking of the Henry Van Dyke quote, "The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month.  "

Yesterday, the first day of Spring was bright and green.


Today, the very next day, big, cottony, fluffy snowflakes descend from the grey sky.

But we know Spring IS coming. As we climb the trees downed by winter winds, noticing....reclaiming our surroundings, it's obvious that something is new in nature. Something new is also springing forth in us and our faith. 
Nature models it to us.
Resurrection.

 

“She turned to the sunlight
    And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
    "Winter is dead.” 



“When the groundhog casts his shadow
And the small birds sing
And the pussywillows happen
And the sun shines warm
And when the peepers peep
Then it is Spring” 


From the swampy wetland that bookmarks the front and back of our house, we have heard the first peepers. After 14 years here, it is a sound we have come to love, even when deafening. I know I will go to my grave thinking it one of the sweetest sounds because it will always be the sound of my children's childhood Springs and Summer nights...nature's lullaby.



2 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

OH, I love this. I think everyone is feeling the lack of spring now and that first quote, about sometimes it being a month difference, is our hope!

Nancy Shuman said...

I had actually forgotten about spring, especially today when I stuck my head and camera outside to snap photos of huge snowflakes. I may as well have had my face in the freezer... and yet, and yet... I loved the crisp fresh cold air (because I know it won't be here much longer :)!). Thanks for a lovely post celebrating a beautiful time of year!

© 2011 Bushel & A Peck Designs. Powered by Blogger.